Emergency contact number

Met police car

When to call 999

Call 999 in an emergency is when a crime is happening, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, or if someone is injured, being threatened or in danger.

Deaf and deafened people using a Textphone (minicom) should dial 18000 in an emergency. Please use the 18001 TextDirect prefix for non-emergency calls. Typetalk can be contacted on 08007311888 or visit www.typetalk.org.uk.

When to call 101

You can call 101 to report a crime that has already happened, seek crime prevention advice or make us aware of any policing issues in your local area. Call 101:

  • If your car, bicycle or mobile phone have been stolen
  • If your garden shed has been broken into
  • If your property has been damaged
  • If you want to report a minor traffic collision, or
  • If you want to provide the police with information about a crime in your area.

Using 101 for situations, that do not require an immediate police response (such as those outlined above) helps keep 999 available for when there is an emergency.