Exchanging Places Events
We also set up ‘Exchanging Places’ events to raise awareness of cycle safety.
These events allow people to sit in the driver's seat of a HGV or bus to get a better understanding of what the driver can and can’t see, especially in regards to cyclists on the nearside and directly in front of the vehicle.
Exchanging Places video
A YouTube video has been launched, which features an experienced lorry driver and a regular cyclist who exchange places and discuss their thoughts. It also offers guidance and clearly demonstrates correct cycling, driving and pedestrian behaviour to ensure safer journeys and avoid collisions.
To watch the video, see 'Related Links' in the right hand navigation.
Come along to any of the exchanging places events below. Bike marking will also be offered at the following events:
- 25 March 2015 - 07:30-09:30 - Bonner Gate, Victoria Park, E3
- 25 March 2015 - 16:00-18:30 - Embassy Gardens, Nine Elms Lane, SW8
- 26 March 2015 - 16:30-18:30 - Stratford Magistrates Court, E15 4SB
- 14 April 2015 - 07:30-09:30 - Northumberland Street, WC2
- 20 April 2015 - 07:30-09:30 - Chelsea Creek, SW6 2FS
- 21 April 2015 - 07:30-09:30 - Longville Road, SE1
- 27 April 2015 - 07:30-10:00 - Mile End Lesiure Centre. Mile End Road / Burdett Road car park
- 11 June 2015 - 11:00-18:00 - Finsbury Park, Islington
- 18 June 2015 - 16:00-19:00 - Victoria and Albert Museum, Exhibition Road, SW7
- 5 July 2015 - 10:00 - 15:00 - Redbridge Cycle Centre, IG6 3HP
- 7 July 2015 - 07:30 - 10:00 - US Embassy, Bond Street
- 1 September 2015 - 07:30-10:00 - Wellington Arch, Hyde Park Corner, London W1J 7JZ
- 16 September 2015 - 16:00-19:00 - Victoria and Albert Museum, Exhibition Road, SW7
- 30 November 2015 - 07:30-10:00 - Victoria and Albert Museum, Exhibition Road, SW7
For more information about Exchanging Places, please email the Cycle Safety Team.