Making a subject access request

Police Officer patrolling High Street shopping area

The Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA 98) gives you the right to access personal information (information about yourself) held by organisations.

To request access to general information [non-personal information] held by the MPS, please make a Freedom of Information request. Please note that some exemptions exist to prevent disclosing personal information to you in certain circumstances.  For example, these can include: 

  • The prevention and detection of crime
  • The apprehension and prosecution of offenders
  • The interest of national security

Please ensure you use the correct form

There are two types of Subject Access request forms for requesting information about yourself on this site:

Application 1. Access to Information held by the MPS on the Police National Computer [PNC]

All PNC applications are processed by the ACPO Criminal Records Office. Please see related links to access the appropriate application and up to date information. The Metropolitan Police do not deal with these requests and any questions in relation to gaining a PNC disclosure should be directed to ACRO.

Application 2. Access to information about yourself, held by the MPS on MPS databases; i.e. Crime Reports.

The MPS Subject Access Form [3019] is available for download via 'Related publications' box (bottom-right) on this webpage.  Details of what to include are found on the form.  If you do not have access to a printer you can telephone us [via related contacts on this page] and request us to send you the form via the post.

Additional information

Please note that an original signed application form and documentation is required to prove identity when making Subject Access requests.  We cannot accept completed forms via email.

The MPS does not provide PNC disclosures for employment vetting services.  If you require a disclosure for employment purposes, please contact Disclosure Scotland - see related links.

If you are going to work as a paid employee or as a volunteer for an organisation and your work will be bringing you into contact with children or vulnerable adults and you require a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, then please access the DBS website and follow their procedures - see related links.