Organising a protest march or static demonstration
Organising a protest march
Organisers of public processions are required by law to notify police AT LEAST 6 DAYS BEFORE the event occurs, of the date, time, proposed route and the name and address of an organiser.
Completion of the form 3175 (to be found in the ‘Related publications box on this page) satisfies the legal requirement to notify police of a public procession under sections 11(1) and 11(3) of the Public Order Act 1986.
6 days is the MINIMUM PERIOD OF NOTICE. Organisers should try to give as much notice as possible.
If you wish to organise a protest march then please return the completed form 3175 to your local police station. These are available to download from this page in either PDF or Word formats.
Notification can also be made by sending your completed forms to MPS Event Planning.
Use of the roadway on a protest march
If there is an intention to use the road for any march then authority may be required from the persons who own the roads for use other than vehicular traffic. The bulk of these are governed by the relevant local authority.
Please identify in which Borough the roads lie. Contact them and seek advice over the issue of a Temporary Traffic Order (TTO).
There is no legal requirement to notify police that you wish to hold a static protest. However, it is very important that you do let the police know if you wish to do this and provide us with the following details:
- Organiser name, phone number and address
- Anticipated numbers of participants
- Event location
- Reason for event
- Start time
- Finish time
- Any advance publicity you are aware of
- Details of any stewards
The benefits of notifying us are significant:
- Many organisations find such liaison, and the professional advice we are able to offer, of significant benefit, in holding a successful event
- You can ensure that your event or protest does not clash with another group aspiring to use the same venue
- We can make you aware of any information we have in relation to counter-protest.
This is particularly important if planning a protest in the area around Parliament/ Westminster which see a large amount of such events.
Useful contact details for Central London events:
- Public Order Branch, New Scotland Yard - 020 7230 9833
- Westminster Borough Events e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greater London Authority for permission to use Trafalgar Square and Parliament Square
0207 983 4750