Registration with the police
You do not have to register with us if any of the following apply:
- There is no requirement to do so on your Visa
- You are under the age of 16
- You are not a foreign national from the list of countries shown on this site
- You are not living in London [register with your local police]
When you register with the police you will be issued a Police Registration Certificate (PRC). Any changes in your circumstance will need to be reported to OVRO at the address shown above and your PRC updated accordingly. However, any change of residential, business or school address MUST be reported to your local police station only. **As of 2nd September 2013 you will not be able to report your change of address at OVRO**
This Police Registration Certificate (PRC) may be used as an identity document in the United Kingdom (UK). You are advised not to carry it with you but keep it in a safe place together with your passport/travel document. If you are asked to produce the PRC, you will be given 48 hours in which to do so at any police station.
- Any change of residential address MUST be reported to your local police station no later than 7 days of the change
- Any change of work address or occupation MUST be reported your local police station within 8 days of the change.
- Any change of school, college or university should also be reported to your local police station within 8 days of the change.
- Any other changes, including visa, change of name, nationality, passport/travel document or marital status must be reported to this office within 8 days of the change.
- You must bring the appropriate documentation for examination, for example original marriage certificate and/or Home Office letters (If you are reporting marriage to a British Citizen you must also bring your spouse's British passport or original birth certificate).
If you have another requirement to register with the police stamped in your passport/travel document or Identity Card for Foreign Nationals (ICFN) (also known as a Biometric Card) at any time, you must attend OVRO and not your local police station within 7 days bringing the relevant documentation such as your passport/travel document, ICFN and your PRC.
If you leave the UK for more than 12 months and are required to register with the police again upon your return, you will need to obtain a new PRC from this office and pay the current registration fee.
If you wish to remain in the UK after the visa in your passport/travel document has expired, an application must be made to the UK Border Agency (UKBA) supported by the appropriate documentation.
If your PRC is lost or stolen, you should report it immediately to the nearest police station. In order to obtain a replacement PRC you will be required to pay the current registration fee.
Countries remaining in the Registration Scheme from 11 May 1998
- North Korea
- Saudi Arabia
Weapons & Drugs
Be aware that it is a criminal offence to carry weapons such as knives and guns in the UK. Unlike some other European countries it is also illegal to carry CS spray. Remember that it is against the law to be in possession of ‘classified’ drugs this includes cannabis, marijuana and hashish.
Further information for visitors to London
Remember the police are there to help you. If anything does go wrong and your possessions are lost or stolen then contact the police at the earliest opportunity. If your enquiry is not urgent please call 101. However, in an emergency requiring POLICE, FIRE OR AMBULANCE SERVICE DIAL 999.