Registration with the police

Person using computer

You do not generally have to register with us if any of the following apply:

  • There is no requirement to do so on your Visa
  • You are under the age of 16
  • You are not a foreign national from the list of countries shown on this site
  • You are not living in London [register with your local police]

Important Information

When you register with the police you will be issued a Police Registration Certificate (PRC).  Any change of residential, business or school address MUST be reported to your local police station only.  Your PRC will be updated accordingly.          

**As of 2nd September 2013 you will not be able to report your change of address at OVRO** All other changes in your circumstance will need to be reported to OVRO at:                                   

Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO)
Brandon House
Ground Floor
180, Borough High Street

The Police Registration Certificate (PRC) may be used as an identity document in the United Kingdom (UK). However, you are advised not to carry it with you but keep it in a safe place together with your passport/travel document. If you are asked to produce your PRC by a Police Officer you will be given 48 hours in which to do so at any police station.

Registered with another Police Force?

If you have initially registered with another police force and have moved into the London area you will need attend OVRO within 7 days of moving. It is a requirement that you bring all the documents mentioned in the 'How to Register' section of this site including the Registration Proforma and 2 passport sized colour photographs when you attend. You will only need to bring the required documentation once so that we can create a record for you here in London.

Changes you must report. 

  • Any change of residential address MUST be reported to your local police station no later than 7 days of the change.
  • Any change of work address or occupation MUST be reported your local police station within 8 days of the change.
  • Any change of school, college or university should also be reported to your local police station within 8 days of the change.
  • Any other changes such as a change of name, nationality, passport/travel document or marital status must be reported to this office within 8 days of the change.
  • You must bring the appropriate documentation for examination, for example original marriage certificate and/or Home Office letters (If you are reporting marriage to a British Citizen you must also bring your spouse's British passport or original birth certificate).
  • If you recieve a new visa, you must report it to OVRO within 7 days

If you have another requirement to register with the police stamped in your passport/travel document or BRP at any time, you must attend OVRO and not your local police station within 7 days bringing the relevant documentation such as your passport/travel document, BRP and your PRC.

If you leave the UK for more than 12 months and are required to register with the police again upon your return, you will need to obtain a new PRC from this office and pay the current registration fee.

If you wish to remain in the UK after the visa in your passport/travel document has expired, an application must be made to the Home Office supported by the appropriate documentation.

If your PRC is lost or stolen, you should report it immediately to the nearest police station. In order to obtain a replacement PRC you will be required to pay the current registration fee.

Countries remaining in the Registration Scheme from 11 May 1998

  • Afghanistan
  • Algeria
  • Argentina
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bahrain
  • Belarus
  • Bolivia
  • Brazil
  • China
  • Columbia
  • Cuba
  • Egypt
  • Georgia
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Israel
  • Jordan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kirgizstan
  • Kuwait
  • Lebanon
  • Libya
  • Moldova
  • Morocco
  • North Korea
  • Oman
  • Palestine
  • Peru
  • Qatar
  • Russia
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Sudan
  • Syria
  • Tajikistan
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Turkmenistan
  • U.A.E.
  • Ukraine
  • Uzbekistan
  • Yemen

Weapons & Drugs

Be aware that it is a criminal offence to carry weapons such as knives and guns in the UK. Unlike some other European countries it is also illegal to carry CS spray. Remember that it is against the law to be in possession of ‘classified’ drugs this includes cannabis, marijuana and hashish.

Further information for visitors to London

Remember the police are there to help you. If anything does go wrong and your possessions are lost or stolen then contact the police at the earliest opportunity. If your enquiry is not urgent please call 101. However, in an emergency requiring POLICE, FIRE OR AMBULANCE SERVICE DIAL 999.