Top Ten tips for securing your home
Operation Bumblebee is targeting burglars in London. Help us keep your home secure by following our 10 Top Tips:
- Don't leave your keys or ID documents within easy reach of doors, letterboxes or windows.
- Close and lock all doors and windows. If you have multi-locking door handles, lift the handle, lock it with the key and remove it - LIFT - LOCK - REMOVE. Put the key in a safe place out of sight in case of fire.
- Lock garages and sheds so garden tools and ladders can’t be used to break into your home.
- Keep side gates locked and wheelie bins stored behind them.
- Use timer switches linked to lights and a radio so it appears that someone is at home.
- Invest in a safe for valuables and sentimental items and securely fix it to a solid surface.
- Install a burglar alarm. Use a reputable company approved by either of the two industry bodies, the National Security Inspectorate (NSI)I and the Security Systems & Alarms Inspection Board (SSAIB).
- Install low level 'dusk till dawn' lighting to increase visibility and deter burglars.
- Keep side and rear boundaries high to restrict access and front boundaries low to remove hiding places.
- Photograph and mark valuables and sentimental items with your postcode and house number/name. Register items with serial numbers at: immobilise.com - see related links.
What makes your home attractive to burglars?
- A high front boundary
- Low side and rear boundaries
- Accessible wheelie bins
- No visible intruder alarm
- No security lighting
- Valuables on display
- Open or unsecured windows
- Unsecured garage or shed door
- Unlocked back or side gate
- Paved path or driveway