TUC march update - police thank organisers and stewards

02 December 2011

New Scotland Yard

The Trade Union led march and demonstration through central London on Wednesday 30 November was a peaceful affair with participants exercising their right to protest.

We would like to thank the organisers and the stewards for their support and work on the day in ensuring the march ended safely.

Despite this a small number of groups unconnected to the main march were intent on committing crime.

There were 78 arrests during the days operation for a variety of offences. The following is the latest information on those arrests.

= Officers working on the policing operation responded to an incident at Hackney bus garage at approx 07.45hrs where a female PCSO was assaulted. A 25 year old man and a 27 year old woman were arrested for assault on police and have since been bailed.

= 38 people were arrested in Dalston Lane, E8 on suspicion of breach of the peace and affray. They have since been bailed until dates in December and January on suspicion of affray.

= At around 15.40 a group entered Panton House, Panton Street, off Haymarket and went onto the roof. Shortly afterwards a containment was put in place in the area and 23 people were arrested in connection with the incident. Nine on suspicion of criminals damage; fifteen on suspicion of burglary. All have been bailed to various future dates.

= Of the remaining 15 who were arrested:

Two were arrested for possession of class A drugs - One has been charged, the other cautioned.

Six were arrested for possession of an offensive weapon - Three were charged under section 139 of The Criminal Justice Act and three were bailed.

Two men were arrested on suspicion of criminal damage.

One of the men has been charged and the other bailed until a future date.

One man arrested on suspicion of assault on police and bailed.

Two arrested on suspicion of public order offences and charged.

One arrested on suspicion of obstructing police and bailed.