Tributes paid to officer who died on duty in Camden

06 November 2012

DC Adele Cashman. Died on duty in Camden on Monday, 5 November.

Tributes have been paid to a "much loved and wholly dedicated" police officer, Detective Constable Adele Cashman, who died on duty in Camden.

Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe said: "I am desperately sad that Adele Cashman, a young officer, died last night. She was with two colleagues chasing criminals who were believed to be involved with the theft of a mobile phone. She was seen to fall by a local resident who went out to help her but sadly she never recovered. It’s a terrible tragedy for Adele's family, it's a terrible tragedy for her colleagues. We are grateful for the support of the members of the public who came forward to try and help her and the London Ambulance Service.

"Adele was an eager officer, she was in a crime squad, she was out there chasing criminals, which is I'm sure the reason she joined. She was out there being brave, getting stuck in and then this great tragedy has happened. It is a terrible loss to everybody who knew her.

"I understand Adele had just returned from holiday. Her family must be desperately sad, particularly her parents and obviously we will try to help them cope with the tragedy of losing their daughter but there is no easy way to do that.

"Fortunately, although it is a dangerous job we do not see officers die very often but when it happens we are shocked, as I'm sure the public are. The best thing we can do now is to make sure we look after Adele's parents and her friends."

Commander Tony Eastaugh said: "The thoughts of everyone in the Metropolitan Police Service are very much with Adele's family, friends and colleagues at this extremely difficult time. Adele worked on both Camden and Wandsworth boroughs and was held in high regard by all who met her - she will be sorely missed by everyone who had the privilege of working alongside her."

Detective Superintendent Richard Tucker, acting borough commander for Camden added: "Adele was a much loved and wholly dedicated officer. We at Camden, are completely devastated at her sudden passing and our thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends at this tragically sad time."

At 21.31hrs on Monday, 5 November, a 59-year-old woman had her smartphone snatched out of her hand in Haverstock Hill, NW3.

Two male suspects ran off and the victim started to chase them. Uniformed officers were on duty in the area at the time and saw the chase. They too chased the suspects and requested further officers to assist.

Officers from Camden Borough’s Crime Squad also attended.

The Crime Squad officers saw a suspect in Belsize Park Gardens. The suspect ran off and two officers, including DC Adele Cashman, gave chase. A 17-year-old suspect was arrested at the junction of Belsize Grove by one of these officers.

A second youth, also aged 17 years, was arrested nearby.

A phone was recovered.

The suspects remain in custody at north and central London police stations.

It appears that during the chase, DC Adele Cashman collapsed in Belsize Park Gardens, NW3.

London Ambulance Service took Adele to the Royal Free Hospital, but sadly she died at 23.10hrs. She was 30 years of age.

Her family has been informed and enquiries continue into the tragic circumstances of her death.

Adele joined the Metropolitan Police in 2006 and was stationed at Wandsworth Borough, where she worked as a PC. She transferred to Camden in 2010 as a Detective Constable.

A post-mortem examination will take place Tuesday, 6 November.