Non-emergency contact number

101 - The number to call to contact your local police

The Metropolitan Police Service is here for London 24/7. We’re committed to making it quicker and easier for you to get the service you need from us.

101 is the number you call if you need to contact your local police. You can call 101 to report a crime that has already happened, seek crime prevention advice or make us aware of any policing issues in your local area.

When you call us we can speak to you in your own language if you cannot, or have difficulty, speaking English.

If you are deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, a text phone is available on 18001 101.

Using 101 for situations that do not require an immediate police response helps keep 999 available for when there is an emergency.

Always call 999 when a crime is happening, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, someone is injured, being threatened or in danger.

Deaf and deafened people using a Textphone (minicom) should dial 18000 in an emergency. Alternatively, if you are deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired, why not register with EmergencySMS text service. The emergencySMS service lets people in the UK send an SMS text message to the UK 999 service where it will be passed to the police, ambulance, fire rescue, or coastguard.

Calls to 101 from landlines and mobiles cost 15 pence per call, no matter what time of day you call or how long your call lasts.

International callers, those in the UK residing outside of England and Wales and those residing in local force areas currently awaiting live access to 101 should call either +44 20 7230 1212 (International callers) or 020 7230 1212 to contact the Metropolitan Police Service.

Emergency contact number

Frequently asked questions

101 is now the only number to call when you want to get through to your local police when it’s less urgent than 999.

Find your local police