SO6 Diplomatic Protection Group
The Diplomatic Protection Group (DPG) provides protection for foreign missions in London and is responsible for:
- Protection of embassies and missions.
- Residential protection for visiting heads of state, heads of government and foreign ministers.
- Counter reconnaissance (surveillance) at events identified as high risk, diplomatic functions or key sites.
- Providing specialist search officers for counterterrorism searches at sensitive addresses, major events and crime scenes.
- Searching and access control of visitors and vehicles to New Scotland Yard and Downing Street.
- Providing professional security advice to the diplomatic and government communities.
Who we are and what we do
The Diplomatic Protection Group’s (DPG) primary responsibility is the safety and security of London's diverse diplomatic and government community. The unit provides protection for foreign missions in London, such as embassies, high commissions, consular sections and official residencies in accordance with Article 22 of the Vienna Convention 1961. This duty is carried out whilst continuing to deliver a reassuring and highly professional service to the people of London.
The DPG provides overt armed protection in the Capital, an immediate response to armed and other critical incidents, and assistance to other police units and agencies at times of high demand, and. They look after:
- The diplomatic community in London.
- Her Majesty's Government, former prime ministers, government ministers and other people assessed to be at risk.
- The Foreign & Commonwealth Office.
- Visiting head's of state, and government and foreign ministers.
- Staff and visitors at New Scotland Yard.
- Hospital patients at threat and hospital staff where required.
If you have a question or query and would like to contact the Diplomatic Protection Group please send an e-mail with your name and contact number to the address provided in the contacts section.
The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) has responsibility for the protection of the diplomatic community in London, under the provisions of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations 1961.
The Diplomatic Protection Group has several key services that they provide. This section provides more information about these areas.