From the 20th May 2014 new Forms 201 and 202 come into effect by virtue of The Firearms (Amendment) Rules 2014. The forms for applying for firearm and shotgun certificates have been further simplified . Applicants will only have to complete one form designed to be used for both applications and there will be a separate, simplified form for firearm variations (see below).
Please note that the old forms 201 and 202 will not be accepted after the 20th June. So please make sure you have the correct form.
Referee forms 125 are now obsolete.
Please also see Form 201 A -Notes for guidance about completing the form under ‘related publications’ on this page.
Print off the blank application form and complete. Please note that it cannot be saved on your computer if you are only using Adobe Reader.
We aim to complete all applications within eight weeks from receipt of the correctly completed application forms. However this timescale can sometimes be exceeded due to extenuating circumstances.
Please note; if we do not receive your correctly completed renewal application forms at least eight weeks prior to your expiry date, we cannot guarantee that your certificate will be renewed prior to expiry. And you will be required to store your firearms with a registered firearm dealer.
- Grant £88.00
- Renewal £62
Applications will no longer be accepted at police stations within the Metropolitan Police Area. Cheques or postal orders should be made payable to: Mayors Office for Policing and Crim or MOPAC. (cash will not be accepted).
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included everything we need to process your application efficiently:
- Your personal details are completed
- Convictions (if any) entered
- GP details completed and signed. Must be a UK GP, non UK GP’s will not be accepted. If you do not have a GP you will have to register with one
- Security section fully completed
- Total firearms required to be possessed (including existing permissions)
- Good reason to possess/acquire firearms shown
- Details of where firearms are to be used
- Do your referees meet required status i.e. Must be UK resident. See also guidance note form 201A
- Have your referees known you for at least two years?
- Photographs - 4 must be passport style and size and quality. One signed by you, the requirement for one to be endorsed as true likeness by your referee has been abolished.
- Photographs (for coterminous applications) - 4 passport size, style and quality - to be endorsed as above.
- Cheques or postal orders for correct fee included and made payable to The Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime
- If you are applying for a coterminous application, ensure you complete both sections of the application form.
- Any incomplete applications will be returned and not processed until correctly completed.
There is now a new separate Form 202 see under related publications on this page for firearm variations. Please complete this if you wish to acquire a firearm, increase or decrease your ammunition quantities. Do not use Form 201.