On the 1st April 2016 the Firearms (Amendment Rules 2016) came into effect creating a new fireams and shotgun certificate application form . Applicants will only have to complete one form designed to be used for both applications and there is also a separate, simplified form for firearm variations (see below).
Print off the blank application form and complete. Please note that it cannot be saved on your computer if you are only using Adobe Reader.
We aim to complete all applications within eight weeks from receipt of the correctly completed application forms. However this timescale can sometimes be exceeded due to extenuating circumstances.
Please note; if we do not receive your correctly completed renewal application forms at least eight weeks prior to your expiry date, we cannot guarantee that your certificate will be renewed prior to expiry. And you will be required to store your firearms with a registered firearm dealer.
Empress State Building will not accept courier deliveries
- Grant £88.00
- Renewal £62
Applications will no longer be accepted at police stations within the Metropolitan Police Area. Cheques or postal orders should be made payable to: Mayors Office for Policing and Crime or MOPAC. (cash will not be accepted).
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included everything we need to process your application efficiently:
- Your personal details are completed
- Convictions (if any) entered
- GP details completed and signed. Must be a UK GP, non UK GP’s will not be accepted. If you do not have a GP you will have to register with one
- Security section fully completed
- Total firearms required to be possessed (including existing permissions)
- Good reason to possess/acquire firearms shown
- Details of where firearms are to be used
- Do your referees meet required status i.e. Must be UK resident. See also guidance note form 201A
- Have your referees known you for at least two years?
- Photographs - 4 must be passport style and size and quality. One signed by you, the requirement for one to be endorsed as true likeness by your referee has been abolished.
- Only 4 photographs are required for an application, be it for a fireams or shotgun certificate or a coterminous application (for both certificates at the same time).
- Cheques or postal orders for correct fee included and made payable to The Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime
- If you are applying for a coterminous application, ensure you complete both sections of the application form.
- Any incomplete applications will be returned and not processed until correctly completed.
There is now a new separate Form 201V see under related publications on this page for firearm variations. Please complete this if you wish to acquire a firearm, increase or decrease your ammunition quantities. Do not use Form 201.