Shot Gun Applications
On the 1st April 2016 the Firearms (Amendment Rules 2016) came into effect creating a new firearm and shotgun application form.
Applicants will only have to complete one form designed to be used for both applications and there will be a separate, simplified form for firearm variations.
The requirement for shotgun certificate applicants to provide a countersignatory no longer applies and is replaced by a requirement to provide a referee without restrictions as to their employment or status.
Print off the blank application form and complete. Please note that it cannot be saved on your computer if you are only using Adobe Reader.
We aim to complete all applications within eight weeks from receipt of the correctly completed application forms. However this timescale can sometimes be exceeded due to extenuating circumstances.
Please note; if we do not receive your correctly completed renewal application forms at least eight weeks prior to your expiry date, we cannot guarantee that your certificate will be renewed prior to expiry. And you will be required to place any guns you hold with a registered firearms dealer or another shotgun certificate holder.
Empress State Building will not take courier deliveries
- Grant £79.50
- Renewal £49
Applications will no longer be accepted at police stations within the Metropolitan Police Area. Cheques or postal orders should be made payable to: Mayors Office for Policing and Crime or MOPAC (cash will not be accepted).
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included everything we need to process your application efficiently.
- Your personal details are completed.
- Convictions (if any) entered.
- GP details completed and signed. Must be a UK GP, non UK GP’s will not be accepted. If you do not have a GP you will have to register with one.
- Security section fully completed.
- Referees must be resident in Great Britain and have known you personally for at least 2 years, must not be a member of your family, a registered firearms dealer, a serving police officer or police employee. Referees must be of good character and references must be given freely and not on payment.
- Photographs - 4, must be passport style, size and quality. One signed by you. The requirement to have it endorsed as a current likeness has been abolished.
- Photographs for coterminous applications - 4 passport size, style and quality. As above no requirement for endorsement is necessary but one must be signed by you.
- Cheques or postal orders for correct fee included and made payable to The Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime.
- If you are applying for a coterminous application, ensure you have completed both the shotgun and firearm sections on the form 201 with all details shown.
- Any incomplete applications will be returned and not processed until correctly completed.