I want to report a serious sexual offence

This section takes you through how we support you, the role of the Sexual Offences Investigative Technique [SOIT] officer, how we investigate serious sexual offences and what to expect from the the court process.

Reporting a serious sexual assault to police can be done in a number of ways: by phone, at a police station, via a third party, directly or anonymously at the Havens or Crimestoppers. The majority of reports are made either by the victim or a friend or acquaintance of the victim. This is not an exhaustive list as reports to police can come in many different ways.

What happens next?

What the police will do when you first contact us.

How we support you

Specially trained officers known as SOIT officers will provide support and help to you throughout the investigative and judicial process.

The investigation process

This section contains details of what to expect from the interview and investigation process.

The court process

What happens when your case is referred to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and the court system.